Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Hide and Seek Champion

Really Read It: Psalm 139: 1-24
A Quick Look: Psalm 139: 23-24
Memorize: Psalm 139:17 How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered!

If you were THE best hide and seek super-star in the world, where could you hide in your house? Could you fit in the chimney? Did you know there is a skinny space inside the wall? What about lying down flat on top of the roof? Or could you cut a hole in the basement floor and dig down into the dirt that is under your house and hide there? I think that any of those places would win. You would be the hide and seek champion of the world, but someone could find you. Maybe a person could find you if they looked long enough, but God could find you in no time at all. You know that, but do you really know it? You cannot hide from God and you cannot hide anything from God.
A lot of kids think that is sort of bad. It is nice that parents and teachers don’t know everything. If you can’t hide anything from God, then He knows all the bad things about you. But it is really very good that God knows all of the bad things about you. You don’t need to pretend you don’t have bad stuff inside of you. You don’t have to work to hide that bad thing from God. God already knows it. God sees all of you.
God even knows you better than you know you. That’s a hard one for my brain. I know everything I do and everything I think. I know all the things that happen on my outside and on my inside. God knows all of that too. And God knows all of the whys of me better than I do. God knows you that well too. God can show you stuff about you that you didn’t know. It seems like if it is about you, you would know it. Who would be the best person to answer the question, “What is your favorite food?” It seems like you could answer that about yourself better than anybody else. But God knows that answer better than you do, and He can tell you what your real favorite is. God will tell you stuff about you that is way more important than food, if you ask Him.
I hope that you are in a family where you are well known. It is safe and peaceful to be in a place where you don’t have to explain yourself. A family should know you, get you, be used to you. And it feels so good to be known like that. With God, it is like the perfect family but 321 times better. You are fully known by God and that should give you so much peace and joy and hope. God knows all of you and He wants you to come close to Him. You can be the worst you with God and He will still want you. You can be the best you with God too. He knows, He really knows, He already knows.

I read Psalm 139 and shortened it some. The whole Psalm is still in your Bible. I just put a shorter one right here for you to read. This way you can read all of my favorite verses from Psalm 139 in a row.

O LORD, you know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I’m far away. You see me when I travel and when I rest at home. You know everything I do. You know what I am going to say even before I say it, LORD. You go before me and follow me. I can never escape from your Spirit! I can never get away from your presence! If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed. How precious are your thoughts about me, O God. They cannot be numbered! I can’t even count them; they outnumber the grains of sand! Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Take a look at a church where the knowing God comes close to His people: World Revival Church

Find more of Nathan’s writing on Amazon and Helium.

No comments:

Post a Comment